Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sonny Steals the Money

Sonny Steals the Money
Within the fifty pages assigned this week to read, Sonny takes one thousand dollars from an envelope in Cloyd’s desk. I think that Sonny will save the money and wait to spend it on something really big or important. Based on how Sonny has treated money prior to this scene, Sonny never actually ever steals money because he wants to buy something. I think he likes the rush and excitement of stealing money and he likes the feeling of security that comes with having a lot of money stashed away. I think later in the book something will happen triggering Sonny to spend the money. I do not think that he will get caught. If Cloyd actually noticed that the money was gone, it would be more likely that Sylvia would be accused because she spends a lot of money on clothes and Cloyd has been getting upset that she goes out so much. My prediction is that Cloyd will notice the money is gone and then blame Sylvia which will cause a lot of drama in Sonny’s house. I find it really interesting that Sonny, after going back and forth in his head weighing the consequences of stealing the money, decides to take it and then regrets it. “I wish I didn’t do it but I couldn’t put the money back because I’d even crumpled the envelope holding it” (Gilb 158). Sonny rationalizes keeping the money by saying how he just has to keep it now since the envelope is crumpled.
If I was in Sonny’s position, I would not have stolen the money. Since it was so much money Cloyd would definitely notice it was gone. I would’ve been way too scared of the consequences if I got caught, to steal the money.  Also, I wouldn’t take that much money unless it was really important for me to have it. I would have a really good reason for stealing it, unlike Sonny, who doesn’t really have any serious reason to have it except that he wants it. If I was in Sonny’s position and I had already stolen the money and couldn’t put it back then I would find a really good place to hide it, and I would save it. I wouldn’t spend it for a long time to avoid suspicion from Cloyd. Finally, when I actually thought it would be safe to spend it, I would spend it on something meaningful.

Character Description
After re-examining my character description, I noticed something about Sylvia and Sonny’s relationship that I wanted to add. On page 141, Sonny mentions how he and his mom used to talk a lot and his mom used to tell him a lot. Although Sylvia is disconnected from Sonny, he and she share a strong mother-son bond, probably because through all that they have experienced, they have stayed together. Sylvia also really trusts Sonny. Sonny keeps her secrets and lies for her to Cloyd. Sylvia really loves Sonny, I think she just doesn’t always understand him or make an effort to ask him about himself and the things that he goes through. Sylvia relies more on Sonny than Sonny relies on her.
Word count: 530

2 comments:

  1. That’s one point I hadn’t considered, Sonny just took the money for no real reason other than him needing it to make himself feel secure. That’s also true he got that rush, the more I think about it the more I see Sonny searching for a high. Wether it’s of drugs or stealing things it seems to be a recurring theme now that I analyze it more carefully. Also that Silvia would be the one to get blamed, I don’t know about that Cloyd seems to be crazy about her I think he thinks his angel can do no wrong. But with this author one just never knows where he’s taking us and that would be quite unexpected at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali G. I like the point you made when you said, "If Cloyd actually noticed that the money was gone, it would be more likely that Sylvia would be accused because she spends a lot of money on clothes and Cloyd has been getting upset that she goes out so much." As I read the story, it never came to mind that Cloyd would blame Silvia for the missing money. I can see how he could blame her from reading your post, and I believe she wouldn't let Cloyd find out that Sonny was the culprit. Silvia would protect Sonny no matter what. If I were Sonny I would of put the money back in the crumpled envelope and put it back. Cloyd is a violent drunk, and I wouldn't want to upset him by doing something like stealing $1,000 from his office. Sonny should of figured out a way to uncrumple the envelope, or even just left it in that condition. I believe Sonny is a compulsive kleptomaniac, and couldn't stand returning the dinero and only used the envelope being crumpled as an excuse.

    ReplyDelete